Friday, April 15, 2011

The Riches of Greensboro, AL

This is my second journey to Greensboro, AL; and like my first trip, I return a RICHER person!

How do I mean richer?

I traveled with 4 of my students and feel blessed to have shared with them such an important UBBT adventure. I believe they have a deeper understanding of what it means to serve and a stronger commitment to support the work I do with my karate school.

I traveled with my middle son Nathan, who got to see first hand, what Tom and the UBBT and The 100 stand for. I can't think of a better way to spend time with my son, to share in the experience and the many life lessons that are taught during this trip.

I am inspired by the work of HERO, led by the amazing Pam Dorr, who has brought together a whole community of people, to help bring life back into this sleepy little town. Nearly 70 homes have been built since Pam arrived and HERO has over 60 people employed. This little "sleeping giant" is waking up and doing great work in the area.

I am inspired by the men from the Cattle Ranch, who are transitioning to a life outside of prison and trying to re-establish themselves once again, outside a life of crime. They welcomed us on to their ball field and despite having a far superior team, handled themselves with grace and kindness. It was remarkable!

I am inspired by our youth, who make up the Youth Corp, Americorp Vista, Habitat for Humanity and many other groups that are working hard to bring about change for the citizens of Greensboro. Instead of seeking jobs of prestige or money, these men and women are seriously devoted to making a difference in the lives of many residents in Hale County.

I am inspired by my UBBT and 100 team mates, many of whom are doing great work in their own home towns, but take time out of their busy schedules to come to Greensboro and offer help that is selfless, genuine and real. I have never been with a group that is kinder, more compassionate and caring......I consider many of you friends and I am grateful that I have gotten to know you and appreciate your support!

Finally, I am inspired by Coach Callos, who helps us believe that we ALL are capable of doing great things within our own schools and community, and "little things add up to BIG things!"

Yes, I am richer for coming to Greensboro and working with a dedicated group of people, who are making their mark on the world. I only hope that I am equal to the task and can bring about the kind of positive change in my community during my lifetime!

"Why do we come to Greensboro, Alabama?"

"Because no one else will!" Tom Callos


Sensei Chris Feldt

Samurai Karate Studio

803-462-9425

samuraikarate@bellsouth.net

No comments:

Post a Comment