Sunday, December 18, 2011

What We Do

The recent statistics on domestic violence really are staggering.  1 in 4 women are predicted to be a victim of domestic violence in their lifetime.
The reality of domestic violence became all too real for me this month.


I was contacted by a women who was interested in enrolling in my school but wasn't able to start after the holidays.  After talking to her on the phone for a few minutes, I could sense something was not right.  After questioning her, she confided to me that she was being abused by her boyfriend, who had threatened to kill her repeated.  Even though she had gone to the police, the legal system really wasn't protecting her and she was very scared.


I invited her to my school the very next day and worked with her for nearly 3 hours one on one.  While I realize one lesson will not make her safe, I tried to offer her some basic tools, mental as well as physical to help protect herself.

I also provided a folder of resources for her to look into, particularly, one of the local battered women's shelter's that does a very good job assisting women and family's that suffer domestic violence.



Some of my friends criticize me because I do so much community service, but this is a classic example of what Coach Callos talks about all the time.  


If we can save the life of one child or adult, well we have done some good work!


This is what we do!

Yes?


"Courage is not the absence of fear. It is going forward with the face of fear." Abraham Lincoln


 This blog post is a part of The Ultimate Black Belt Test (ultimateblackbelttest.com), an undertaking of The 100 (the100.us), and a part of Samurai Karate Studio (samuraikaratestudio.net).

No comments:

Post a Comment